The Traffic Bureau has overall responsibility for the enforcement of state traffic laws as well as city ordinances regarding traffic. The Bureau consists of one sergeant and three full time officers. Patrol officers are assigned to traffic enforcement as manpower availability allows.
The Bureau is responsible for:
- investigation of all serious and fatal traffic accidents that occur on city roadways;
- enforcement of traffic laws;
- traffic surveys and traffic counts to aid in establishing speed limits;
- infant and child car seat installation demonstrations;
- and other traffic related duties.
The Bureau also represents the department Woburn District Court for traffic complaint hearings and trials. There is a weekly average of 50 citation hearings.
The unit also is responsible for the supervision of the school crossing guards. This includes training, CPR and basic first aid training, and equipping the guards with uniforms and signs.
The Bureau makes use of motorcycles as well as regular road vehicles.